This recipe came about because I was out of large jumbo shells when I went to make one of our family's favorite recipes, stuffed shells. Thankfully, my improvised version went over better than the original. I hope you enjoy this creamy and nutritious pasta bake, it is hands-down my boys' favorite meal.
Inside-out Stuffed Shells
Active time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Serving Suggestions: With red and yellow roasted vegetables and/or a green salad.
What you'll need:
- 1 lb whole wheat small shell pasta OR other small pasta (elbow, rotini, penne)
- 1, 16 oz, box tofu, drained
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed OR chopped kale
- 1, 24 oz, jar favorite pasta sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp basil -- using 3 TBLS fresh chopped basil makes this really delicious
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 TBLS nutritional yeast (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your pasta al dente according to the directions.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Meanwhile, mash the tofu well in a large mixing bowl with a potato masher.
- Add in all the other ingredients and stir well.
- When pasta is done, drain well and then add to the mixing bowl. Stir until pasta is well coated.
- Transfer coated pasta to a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
Time saving tips:
- Make the noodles and tofu sauce ahead of time
- Consider assembling the dish ahead of time, and then just bake when the time comes