- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups chunked celery (3/4in)
- 2 cups frozen peas (12oz pk)
- 3 cups chunked carrots (3/4in)
- 2 8oz packages of mushrooms, quartered (baby bellas are my favorite for this)
- 4-5 cups chunked white sweet potatoes (3/4in)
- 2 cans beans, rinse and drained + 2 cups water - puree!
- 6 cups beef-flavored broth (vegetable works, too, but the vegan beef broth really makes this stew)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 TBLS various Italian herbs -- basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary...
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 TBLS paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
-- Saute onion and garlic in large stock pot until tender. Add everything else, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30-45 minutes until everything is tender. Take 2 cups of soup out and puree it, then add it back it. (Or use an immersion blender to just thicken the stew a little)
-- Crockpot version: dump it all in. High for 4 hrs.