serves 8-10 (16-18 cups)
- rounded 1/2 cup each: barley, red or green lentils, split peas
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 TBLS minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrot
- 3 cups cauliflower florets (or a 12oz bag frozen)
- 3 cups cubed white sweet potato (or regular white potato)
- 9-10oz frozen chopped spinach or kale
- 8-9 cups water/broth mixture
- optional: liquid smoke to taste (a few shakes)
- salt and pepper to taste
-- Soak barley, lentils, and split peas 1 hour in a large bowl covered with water. Drain and rinse.
-- Combine everything in a large pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 30-45 minutes.
-- Crockpot: combine everything. High for 4 hours.