This is a very easy weeknight meal to throw together. I have even served it to guests, believe it or not! My boys love this dinner. Both may or may not have anything to do with the "sweet" part of the dish, considering it is just lentils and veggies and rice -- but the 5-Chineese spice really is what sets this dish apart from being just hum-drum!
Sweet & Sour Lentils
- 1 1/2 cups dry lentils, picked over and rinsed + 3 cups water -- cook
- 1 can water chestnuts, chopped
- 2 cups each: chopped carrots, red bell pepper, cauliflower (can sub celery for cauliflower)
- 1 can pineapple tidbits in juice, drained
- 3-4 TBLS each: soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, maple syrup or brown sugar (depending on how "saucy" you want it -- easy to start with 3, taste, and add more if desired)
- 1 TBLS fresh grated ginger or 1/4 tsp dry
- 2 tsp minced garlic or 1/2 tsp powdered
- 1/4 tsp 5-chinese spice
- cilantro, to taste, for topping
- 3 cups cooked grain
-- Combine sauce ingredients and add to cooked lentils.
-- Stir in all the chopped veggies and serve (warmed or room temp) over rice with cilantro on top.
Can also top with chopped mushrooms, or serve over a bed of spinach or lettuce. :D