Monday, March 7, 2016

Vegetable Ratatouille

I didn't know I even liked Ratatouille until I tried some last summer at a friends house.  Her variation had chunks of chicken which I politely avoided in my sampling, but oh. my. goodness.  I went home and wrote out a plant-based version and made it the next night.  And three more times that same summer.  I restrain myself to only make this during the summer months since it uses so many garden-friendly veggies, but it's one of my all-time favorite meals.  Drizzled with balsamic glaze (reduction). eaten warm over polenta or pasta, or cold with a chunk or bread (my personal favorite), it's delicious.  It makes a ton, so be prepared to have a party or eat it for lunch for the week (fine by me!).  It really is BEST the day after...just sayin'.



Vegetable Ratatouille
serves 8-10

  • 8 cups cubed eggplant
  • 2 cups cubed yellow squash
  • 2 cups cubed zucchini
  • 1 orange bell pepper, chunked
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, chunked
  • 1 large red onion, chunked
  • 1 1/2 TBLS minced garlic
  • 2 cans white beans, rinse and drain (can use 1 red, 1 white)
  • 1/4 cup red wine
  • 1 cup broth
  • 2 cansfire roasted tomatoes, with juice
  • 2 6oz cans tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 TBLS brown sugar (opt)
-- Dump everything into a large crockpot, minus the beans, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  You can cook it on high, but time is the key here, so low and slow is best if you have the time.  Alternately, you can saute the onion and garlic and all the rest to a stock pot and simmer, but that takes a much more watchful eye...
-- Add beans near the end and make sure they're heated through


No comments:

Post a Comment