Kidney Bean & Lentil Dahl
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice, or more broth
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 TBLS minced garlic
- 1 TBLS minced ginger
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinse and drain
- 1 cup red lentils (or just another can red kidney beans)
- OPT: 8-12 oz chopped mushrooms and/or 3-4 cups chopped cauliflower.
- OPT: replace all dry spices with simply 1 TBLS cumin and 1 TBLS garam masala
-- Saute onion 2-3 minutes, add spices and cook 5 minutes until fragrant
-- Add broth and juice, cooking 1-2 minutes, then add remaining.
-- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20-25 minutes until lentils are cooked through and beans are soft.
-- Serve over 3-4 cups steamed rice with a salad on the side.
CROCKPOT: Dump everything in, high for 3 hrs, low for 6.