Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Homemade Popcorn

...in a bag! I know a lot of people who pop their own popcorn in a pot on the stove and they shake it and shake it so as to not let the kernels burn. And the popcorn is amazing when it comes out. I love homemade popcorn - I just don't love the clean up. So here's what I do! I found this trick right after Scot and I got married and we didn't have any extra money for things like popcorn - and really, who am I kidding, we still don't - anyways, I tried the old popcorn in a pan thing and I just couldn't get it and it was a mess to clean up, so I bought the supplies to make popcorn in a bag and I've never, and probably will never, look back!


You really only need the brown paper sack and popcorn (I like white), but I like Kettle Corn, so I add sugar and salt to the mix.


Put 1/3 cup corn kernels in the paper bag with about 1 T oil - shake. It should end up looking something like this.


Add about 2 T sugar if you want Kettle Corn, shake again, and then fold and squeeze air out. Lay in microwave like you would a store bought bag. Microwave for about 2.5 minutes (until the kernels stop popping rapidly)


Meanwhile, let your son play with the bowl.


When you hear the popping slow to about 1 pop per 3 seconds, stop the microwave and stand in awe of your very own bag of popcorn!


Pour into bowl - sprinkle salt (popcorn salt is best) and enjoy!

There are so many variations to this it's not even funny. I use the oil so the sugar sticks to the kernels, but the oil isn't necessary. Like I said, all you really need is the bag and the corn kernels and then whatever toppings you want. I just love sweet and salty, so this is my preferred choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment