Monday, August 10, 2009

Moroccan-spiced beef with couscous

This is one of my favorite meals to make! It's so tasty and so not like any other meal I have in my recipe box. I love meals like that. I made this last week when my folks were up for dinner and when I told Scot what I was making, he got really jealous that he wasn't there to enjoy it. This recipe was introduced to me at our church recipe exchange while back and it's one I will keep for years and years.

Moroccan-spiced beef with couscous

  • Olive oil
  • 2 medium carrots - chopped (I have used baby carrots and just lined them up to chop - so easy)
  • 1 medium onion - chopped
  • 1 T paprika
  • 1 t allspice
  • 1/2 t ground cinnamon
  • 1 lb ground beef, turkey, or lamb
  • 1 can garbanzo beans - rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup cut dried apricots
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves - chopped (or about a 1/4 cup dried)
  • 1 can chicken broth (1.75 cups)
  • 1 (10 oz) box plain couscous
--Saute carrots, onion and spices in large skillet with oil until carrots are tender - 10 minutes.
--Add meat and cook until meat is done.
--Stir in beans, fruit, parsley, and 1/2 cup broth.
--Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes.
--Meanwhile, prepare couscous as directed, substituting remaining 1.25 cups of broth for some of the water required. Fluff when done.
--Scoop couscous into plates and top with beef mixture. OR - mix all together and serve in a bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment