Monday, June 21, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie


I have to say first off that I am so thankful to have this recipe in my arsenal. My roommate in college, Hallie, made a fabulous pie - my all time favorite being her Strawberry Rhubarb. It was such my favorite that Scot has heard about this pie for...oh...about 4 years now. Subsequently, when I asked Scot what he wanted for dinner on Father's Day - he asked me to make the pie for dessert! So I got the recipe and let me tell ya -- it was just as good as I remembered! So a huge thank you to Hallie!

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

filling:
  • 1 lb (3-4 stalks) rhubarb -- make sure it's at least half red
  • 1 pint strawberries -- quartered/sliced
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 2 T flour
topping:
  • 1/2c flour
  • 1/4c sugar
  • 1/4c butter, room temp

-Chop the rhubarb (like celery) and simmer over medium heat with the sugar. As it cooks down taste it for sweetness. You want to have that perfect sweet/tart combo prior to adding the strawberries, but remember, they will bump up the sweet factor in the end.
-The rhubarb is ready when it is tender and has begun to break apart.
-Add the 2 T of flour. If it seems too runny, add up to 1/4c. flour.
-Remove rhubarb from heat and mix in strawberries. Pour into prepared pastry crust.
-Mix flour and sugar together, cut in butter until well blended, sprinkle over filling
-Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes. Put a baking sheet on the rack beneath the pie to catch the spills.

No comments:

Post a Comment