Tuesday, February 8, 2011

White Wine Artichoke Chicken


This was such an easy meal to make! It's light and tasty, healthy and pretty. What more could you want? I have to say that a year ago I would not have tried this recipe due to the presence of the mushrooms. In the last few months, though, I've been trying to get over my aversion -- and I have to admit, I loved this meal because of the mushrooms. Crazy, I know. But true. I served this over rice and with a hearty portion of rosemary green beans on the side. Yum-o-licious!

White Wine Artichoke Chicken
  • ½ cup flour
  • 1 tsp. herbes de provence (or a combo of other dried herbs: basil, parsley, oregano, thyme)
  • Dash of salt and pepper
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 2 cups sliced baby Bella mushrooms (1 carton)
  • 1 (14 oz.) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained - I did more than this because I love artichokes so much
  • 1/3 cup dry white wine
  • 1/3 cup chicken broth
  • Grated Parmesan as garnish (not pictured, as usual)
-- Combine the flour and seasonings in a shallow dish and lightly coat chicken breasts
-- Transfer chicken breasts to a skillet with hot oil and pan fry them (8-10 minutes) until done
-- Meanwhile, slice mushrooms and drain artichokes.
-- When breasts are done, transfer to a plate and keep warm. As long as there is still a little oil left in the pan, dump the veggies right in. If not, add a little extra first.
-- Let veggies cook about 5 minutes until the mushrooms are all dark and little.
-- Mix the wine and broth together with 1 T of flour and pour in the skillet with the veggies. Stir and let thicken just a little - a couple minutes.
-- Transfer the chicken back into the skillet and coat with the sauce. Serve over rice with lots of sauce spooned on top! Oh yes, and don't forget the Parmesan!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Friend! Do you have any suggestions for white wines? I never buy wine (even for cooking) because I have NO idea what to look for. I guess I could ask someone at the liquor store... :)

    Thanks for the recipe--look forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if it's a small amount like this, i just use cooking wine. it keeps and it does what it's supposed to - give the meal that sophisticated taste wine so willing affords. :) although, if you were going to make this for a huge group and say, triple it, i would use a dry white wine.

    ReplyDelete