Thursday, December 15, 2011

Vegetarian Chili

This picture was taken of the chili without any of the cans drained...too soupy, but I didn't want to go and remake the chili just for a picture, ya know?
Since we went heart healthy, I have been determined to make all of our favorite dishes fit into our eating style without compromising on the taste.  My chili, which has meat in it, was on the top of my list to recreate.  Now that it's cold out, I was finally able to tackle the challenge.

I love a chunky, bean filled, chili.  Slightly sweet and with bold flavor, but not spicy.  I love different textures of my tomatoes.  So I brought all my favorite qualities to this chili.  Feel free to up the spice and change the type of tomatoes.  The simple formula for this is one can of tomatoes to each can of beans.  Simple, right?  Add in some extras and you're good to go!

Serve this with some cornbread and a good salad.



Vegetarian Chili
Serves 10-12
  • 2 cans light red kidney beans (loosely drained)
  • 2 cans dark red kidney beans (loosely drained)
  • 2 cans Italian diced tomatoes
  • 1 can petite diced tomatoes with diced green chiles
  • 1 can sliced stewed tomatoes
  • 1 can corn (drained)
  • 1 bell pepper - diced
  • 1 medium onion - diced
  • 1-2 packets chili seasoning (to taste)
  • 2 T brown sugar
  • dash or two of cinnamon
-- Mix everything together in a large stock pot or in the crockpot and heat through.
-- Add some broth if it's too thick
-- Top with whatever you want: cheese, lettuce, more onions, sour cream, Fritos

No comments:

Post a Comment