Saturday, June 2, 2012

Sweet Potato Tacos

I love the combination of sweet potatoes and black beans.

Need proof?  See this recipe, this one, or even this one.  They're all fabulous.

So when I saw a recipe for sweet potato tacos with black "re-fried" beans over at Two Blue Lemons, I knew I had to try it.

 

This is quite possibly one of the easiest dinner recipe I have.  No stove or oven required.  Just some chopping and mashing and a little microwave time and you're done.  Scot and I gobbled these up and the boys loved theirs, too.  I actually made the beans 2 days ahead of time and so when the time came to make this, I just had to chop the potatoes and nuke them.  And during that short time, I sliced up an avocado, chopped some greens and a tomato, and set the table. Dinner was ready in under 20 minutes.

Yes, it was really that easy!

I hope you make these and enjoy them just as much.

 

Sweet Potato Tacos
Serves 4-6
  • 2 medium-large sweet potatoes.  Cleaned well, unpeeled, chopped into 1 inch  chunks -- 6 cups worth.  
  • 3 cans of black beans (or kidney), rinsed and drained
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 t cumin
  • 1 TBLS lime juice
  • 1 1/2 T tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup water
  • whole wheat tortillas
 Toppings:
  • avocados
  • salad greens
  • cilantro
  • tomatoes
  • cheese
  • salsa
  • hot sauce
  • lime
-- Nuke the potatoes 8-10 minutes until fork tender
-- Meanwhile, combine the beans with the spices, oil and water.  Mash with a potato masher or large spoon until you achieve a "re-fried" texture.  Warm in the microwave for just a minute or two.
-- To prepare, smear the beans on a tortilla, top with a huge spoonful of sweet potatoes and what ever toppings you want.  Then get ready to have a party in your mouth!

No comments:

Post a Comment