Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Heather's Quinoa


When I first started cooking with quinoa, I went on a vicious hunt for quinoa recipes.  I found this one hidden away.  As soon as I saw it again last week, I had two reactions.  One: regret for not making it when I found it last summer.  And then quickly following that was this thought: I'm glad I'm making this now, because I have extra squash and zucchini I can use in it, too!

And so began last night's dinner! 






 This is Scot's new favorite quinoa dish.  I don't know if it's just something new...or the fabulous combination of the pesto and slightly sweet tofu and the sauteed veggies.  I will tell you the boys licked their bowls clean.  Literally. And Scot and I would have followed suit, had we not been scolding the boys to get their tongues back into their mouths.



Heather's Quinoa
Serves 4-6
  • 3 c cooked quinoa (1 1/4 c quinoa + 2.5 water)
  • 1/3 c pesto
  • 1 black extra firm tofu, drained, and cut into small cubes 1 T brown sugar 
  • 1 small red onion, minced
  • 2 c 1/2 inch cubed squash and/or zucchini
  • 1 1/2 c corn
  • 2 c kale, finely chopped
  • 1/4 c sun dried tomatoes (or, roasted tomatoes if you have the time)
  • Sunflower or pumpkin seeds 
-- Combine cooked quinoa and pesto in a large bowl
--  In a skillet, brown tofu cubes in a little olive oil and sprinkle with brown sugar.  Let cook and crisp, turning over every few minutes until they're slightly brown
-- Transfer to the quinoa and heat a little more olive oil in the skillet.  Saute the onion, squash and/or zucchini, and corn until veggies are almost soft.  Add in the chopped kale and heat until wilted.
-- Add sauteed veggies and seeds to the quinoa and gently stir together.
-- Top with the tomatoes and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment