Sunday, September 16, 2012

Lentil Sweet Potato Stew

I love lentil soups.  I love this simple lentil soup. I love this sneaky sweet potato soup with lentils in it.  And when I saw this stew, I thought it was right up my alley.

It did not disappoint.  Flavorful and simple and the boys loved it.  I loved it, because, add a salad and some hearty bread and it's a fill-you-up meal!

It is very similar to the lentil soup, just with the addition of sweet potatoes and green beans, so if you know you liked that soup, you'll love this one!

Also, I froze half to eat later.  I can't wait.


Lentil Sweet Potato Stew
feeds 8
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1 med onion, chopped
  • 1 cup carrots, chopped
  • 1 cup celery, sliced 
  • 1 t minced garlic
  • 2 t curry
  • 2 c dry lentils, rinsed and drained
  • 4 c vegetable broth + 4 c water
  • 4-5 cups cubed sweet potatoes (1/2 in cubes)
  • 1, 9oz pkg, frozen cut green beans
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 T dry cilantro
-- Saute onion, carrots and celery until soft.  Add garlic and curry and cook a couple minutes.
-- Add lentils and liquids.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
-- Add sweet potatoes and continue to simmer 10-15 minutes until sweet potatoes and lentils are soft (to speed this up, I nuke the sweet potatoes for a few minutes).
-- Add green beans, tomatoes and cilantro and heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment