Friday, November 16, 2012

Roasted Root Vegetables with a Honey Mustard Vinaigrette

Someone gave me a rutabaga.  I had no idea what it was, and not the faintest clue what to do with it.  I mean, I had heard of them, but that was about it.  Have you encountered vegetables like this?

Once I found out it was a root vegetable, I had a little bit better of an idea how to handle my situation.  All the ideas on the internet seemed to be just mashing them like potatoes with other root vegetables: like parsnips, or turnips.  But I didn't have parsnips or turnips, and I didn't want mashed vegetables, either.



And then I stumbled upon this recipe.  I didn't have all the ingredients, but it gave me some much needed direction, so I went with it.  Oh my, am I glad I did.  We all had seconds -- the boys both asked for more, and I gave them good sized portions to start with!  So it must have been good, right?

This may even grace our Thanksgiving table!



Roasted Root Vegetables with a Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
  • 1 rutabaga, peeled and cubed  3-4 cups
  • 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed 3-4 cups
  • 1/2 lb carrots, sliced/chopped  2 cups  
  • olive oil
  • 1-2 t Italian seasoning
Dressing
  • 3 T white wine vinegar
  • 1 T Dijon mustard
  • 1 T honey
  • 1 T olive oil
--  In a large bowl, toss the vegetables with 1 T olive oil and spices
-- On a silpat, or parchment covered, baking sheet, spread the vegetables
-- Bake for 30 minutes at 350, or until tender.  Transfer to a large serving bowl
-- Mix the dressing, and drizzle over the veggies, making sure to stir well to coat

No comments:

Post a Comment