Friday, January 11, 2013

Mediterranean Mashed Chickpeas

These mashed chickpeas are so easy to throw together.  They reminded me a lot of the other mashed chickpea meal I've made, but with a Mediterranean flare and a lot thicker.  If made to pick between the two, I think I'd go with this version if only for the ease.  Also, while I don't always have pitas on hand, I do always have bread around.

This is, technically, a starter or a side, but I made it part of our meal and paired it with the Roasted Cauliflower Sweet Potato Soup and simply steamed broccoli.  Yum!  My boys loved spreading the mashed goodness onto their bread all by themselves.  The taste was great, and will be better next time when I use the olives.  I used 1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers instead and it worked really well, but next time will be better I think.



I got the recipe from over here and slightly tweaked it.  Enjoy!

Mediterranean Mashed Chickpeas
Feeds 4
  • 2 cans chickpeas, rinse and drain
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • olive oil
  • 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
  • 2 t minced garlic
  • 1/2 c chopped olives or roasted red bell pepper
  • 1 T oregano
  • 1 T lemon juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • toasted bread or pita (or GF alternative)
-- In a food processor, roughly chop the tomatoes.  Remove and start sauteing in a large skillet with some olive oil. (about 5-7 minutes)
-- Meanwhile, roughly chop with chickpeas with the broth.  You do not want them pureed, just a coarse texture.
-- Add the garlic to the skillet and saute a minute or two.
-- Add in the chickpeas and remaining ingredients, mix, and heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment