Monday, February 11, 2013

BBQ'd Tofu

I love easy dinners.  With two little boys running around, easy dinners on busy days is what makes my life manageable. I saw this recipe over at OhSheGlows and decided to try it.  We do tofu in things, but rarely do I take the time to pan fry it.  But since that was the only time needed for this meal to be on the table, I was ok with it.



This was so simple, it's almost not worth having a post on at all, but I think sometimes going back to the basics of a meal is good.  So often I serve one-dish meals, or meals that only require an extra veggie.  This BBQ'd tofu needs a little more to make it part of a whole dinner ensemble   A note, too, on portion.  A block of tofu should feed 4 people.  The delicious BBQ'd tofu chunks shouldn't take up most of the plate.  You have to fill it with other things.  So I made some green beans as well as my Black Bean Quinoa Salad and had a green salad just in case.  We were fine.  But I did make it stretch to feed one hungry man, two hungry boys, and one momma.


Also, next time, I think I'm going to broil the tofu instead of pan frying it.  That's just how we prefer it -- totally a texture thing, I think.  It's also a lot faster to broil it than pan-fry it.  Also, no oil is needed when you broil.  Bonus!

Ok.  Enough of all that.

BBQ'd Tofu
serves 4
  • 1 block extra firm tofu.  Pressed/squeezed for at least 30 minutes and cut into 36 squares.  Or less, depending on how big you want them.
  • garlic power
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/4 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce.  We use Stubb's Honey Pecan.  Love Stubb's!
-- Pan-fry or broil the tofu until it's done.  If you're pan-frying, use a high heat tolerant oil (like grapeseed) and fry 5-7 minutes each side until golden brown.  If broiling, broil each side about 5 minutes.
-- Once fried or broiled, mix in a bowl with the BBQ sauce and serve right away!  (More BBQ may be needed depending on the amount of BBQ love you have going on at your table!)

No comments:

Post a Comment