Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Fajitas -- Veggie Style

I love fajitas.  In fact, it's probably one of the single meals I miss most since we started eating heart healthy.  That and homemade mac n cheese.  With sharp cheddar.  Mmmmm....

Anyway, back to the sizzling fajitas!  I used to love going out and ordering fajitas.  I was always, even then, more interested in the flavors and the peppers and onions than the meat.  There's just something about the tortillas softening as you put the steaming veggies in that makes my mouth water.  So when I saw this recipe, I jumped.  Fajitas!!  The sad part?  I made something similar to this at the beginning of our healthy eating venture, but I didn't use quinoa, so they weren't very filling and I never tried them again.

Oh, all the veggies.  I love watching them cook down.  Smelling them as they do.



But now...now, I have a solution to my fajitas love!  Feel free to sub in whatever.  The original recipe called for only peppers and onions, but I had a zucchini and mushrooms that needed to be used so I threw them in, too, and just made a little extra quinoa to compensate.  Also, I used black beans, but I really think pinto beans would have been better for the flavors present.





Fajitas -- Veggie Style
serves 6
  • 1 rounded cup quinoa + 2.5 cups water (3 cups cooked)
  • 1 can pinto or black bean, rinsed and drained
  • 1 large onion, sliced thin
  • 2 large bell peppers, sliced
  • 1 zucchini, sliced in thin half-moons
  • 1 box of mushrooms, sliced (optional)
  • Taco or Fajita seasoning
  • Salsa
  • Whole Wheat Tortillas (orGF alternative)


--Cook your quinoa
-- While quinoa is cooking, saute the onion, peppers, mushrooms and zucchini until everything is nice and tender.  Add in 1-2 T of seasoning, and some salt if desired.
--Once your quinoa is done cooking, mix with beans and 1 1/2 - 2 T of seasoning.
-- Warm tortillas, and then layer the quinoa mixture in with the sauteed veggies on top.  Add on some salsa and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment