Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sloppy Bobs

This was an "oops" dinner that turned out better than the original plan.

I was going to make these black bean burgers the other night, but when I got to making them, I only had old fashioned oats.  It's been months since I've made these, and while I remember us liking them quite a bit, I didn't remember the breadcrumbs being such a big deal.

It is.  If you want to make the burgers and don't have breadcrumbs, use quick oats.  And maybe even pulse those a little.  If not, you'll end up with a slightly crumbly mess that doesn't mold well into patties.

So I improvised and added a can of Italian diced tomatoes to save the day.  They saved dinner, is what they did!

This new concoction could be used as a burrito filling, or even a thick chip dip.  I kept with the original plan and used our "skinny buns" and renamed the dish "Sloppy Bobs" -- the boys thought it was a lot of fun and the name stuck I guess.  Scot voted these better than the plain black bean burgers and I agreed.  If you want a fabulous black bean burger recipe though, here you go -- they are hands-down my favorite recipe for them I think.

Now for the Sloppy Bobs!  Which, if you're curious, are quicker to put together and healthier than the original recipe.  (And taste amazing.  I should know.  I couldn't stop sampling and still ate a huge portion for dinner!)



Sloppy Bobs
serves 4-6
  • 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained and smashed in a bowl
  • 3/4 cup rolled oats
  • 2 T flax meal
  • 1 T basil
  • 1 T dry cilantro
  • 2 t onion powder
  • 1 t cumin
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 cups corn
  • 1 can Italian diced tomatoes, with juice
-- Mix the oats, flax meal, and spices together.  Add to the beans and mix thoroughly.
-- Add in the corn and tomatoes and stir until combined.
-- Either eat at room temperature or heat in the microwave or in the stove.
-- To serve: pile on a toasted whole wheat bun, or in a whole wheat tortilla

No comments:

Post a Comment